FOOD Myths… what advice is true!

Magazines, Internet, iPads…everywhere you reach there is information both positive and negative flooding the market about food! The question is what is fact, what is a myth and finally what stands true within you?

Today’s blog is about asking…does this sound and feel right for me? As I’ve said in earlier posts, we are working with “BIO-INDIVIDUALITY”…one person’s food is another person’s poison. Your body is a very unique and intuitive smart tool. It’s our minds and the information we feed it I see as the problem.

What we hear, what we see, what we taste and how much of it we eat has impacted our state of being. Low fat, no-fat, lite, less is more, don’t eat that and eat this! There is so much to listen to that at times we don’t really know what’s the truth. It’s time to dig a bit deeper to see what advice has served us or limited us.

eggEggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.
A whole egg contain all the nutrients needed to turn a single fertilized cell into an entire baby chicken. There’s only one problem, the yolks also happen to be high in cholesterol! Because egg yolks are high in cholesterol, people believed that they would raise cholesterol in the blood. Professionals recommend we limit egg consumption to 2-6 whole eggs per week. However, many will say eat them but throw away the yolks! Worst advice ever, the yolks contain almost all the nutrients, while the whites are mostly just protein.

Studies show with 70% of people, eggs have no effect on cholesterol levels. With the other 30% egg yolks raised HDL (the good) cholesterol and turn the LDL particles into the large, fluffy kind… which is not harmful.

TRUE Studies included hundreds of thousands of people, have looked at whole egg consumption and the risk of heart disease in healthy people and found no association between the two. In fact eggs have many amazing benefits. They’re loaded with high-quality protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants… almost every nutrient your body needs. Eggs are low in saturated fat and keep you full longer to help you lose weight.

2. A Calorie Is A Calorie And Food Quality Is Less Important

A calorie is not a calorie

A calorie is not a calorie

The excessive focus on calories is one of the biggest mistakes in the history of nutrition. It is a myth that it is the caloric value of foods that matters most, not the foods that the calories are coming from. “WRONG “O”! The truth is, calories are important, but that doesn’t mean we need to count them or even be consciously aware of them. Humans were the healthiest and leanest way before they knew that calories existed.

Different foods have different effects on the hormones and brain centers that control what, when and how much we eat, as well as the number of calories we burn.

Here are two examples of why a calorie is NOT a calorie:

Protein: Eating a high protein and fruit and veggie diet can boost metabolism by 80-100 calories per day and significantly reduce appetite and cravings. Protein calories have a different effect than carb or fat calories.

Satiety: Many studies show that different foods have varying effects on feelings of fullness. You need much fewer calories to feel full from eggs, fruit, veggies compared to donuts or ice cream. The myth that calories are all that matters for weight (and health) is completely wrong.

3.Replace Natural Butter With Processed Margarine…NO WAY!

butterMainstream nutrition has gotten many things wrong. The horrible advice to replace natural butter with processed margarine may be the worst. Have you looked at the ingredients list for margarine. This is not food; it’s a combination of chemicals that looks and tastes like food. Margarine, not surprisingly, increases heart disease risk compared to butter.                                                                                                      If you are looking for a better understanding about food and how to keep a lean, happy, healthy environment for you and your family, call for a free health history. evaluation.

nancy chernoff photo

Nancy Chernoff is a health and wellness coach from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  She leads life changing workshops and retreats with her team at FearlessFlame Empowerment Workshops, and is a Weight Watcher Trainer & Consultant in Montreal.

Life Consciously, Live Life the Healthy Way!                                     or call Nancy at 514-953-8287.

1 Comment
  • Caroline
    Posted at 07:46h, 29 May Reply

    Great blog Nanc. Such informative information. Never knew all this! I learn something new everyday

Post A Comment